Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 3: May 3rd, 2010

EXTRACT



Is It Bad To Say I Wanted More Ben Affleck?

Mike Judge is back again with another comedy about an every day guy who owns an extract company. After a series of freak accidents one employee loses a testicle. Things go from bad to worse when Joel starts to have sexual feelings towards a new temp. He's not getting any at home so his friend tells him to get a gigalo to seduce his wife so he won't feel guilty about sleeping with the temp. Of course he's on drugs when he agrees to this, so the next day he realizes his mistake. Throw in someone stealing things from the employees, the selling of the company possibly going sour and an annoying neighbour and Joel is about to explode.

Pretty lengthy description of the film, I've left out some bits and pieces here and there, but I really couldn't care to tell you. We'll all move on. The film is another Mike Judge piece, so it will have it's fans. I'm not one of them. With Office Space, I found that I liked it more upon repeated viewings, I won't bother to watch this one again.

The cast tries their best with the material. Kristen Wig has nothing to do, Clifton Collins Jr. is forgotten throughout the film, David Koechner is dumbed down to one joke repeated throughout, J.K. Simmons looks like he wants to get the hell out of this movie, Mila Kunis has hardly any screen time to do anything worthwhile and Jason Bateman uses his old comedy routine he did in Arrested Development. He's a good guy trying to do things right, but gets caught in these weird and awkward situations.

Ben Affleck saves this film from total disaster, his supporting role as the best friend with the worst ideas is really great. I should have known, since he was the best thing in the trailers too. His look alone had me smiling.

I guess I'm just not that much a fan of Judge and his comedy. I was never into Beavis and Butthead and I hated King of the Hill. Extract is a comedy that will make you smirk a few times, but never laugh. It tries to be too adult and mature, which makes it lose it's sense of comedy. The story it was trying to tell is uninteresting, the characters are uninteresting and the comedy is uninteresting.

In the end Extract is a mess of a film, there were parts that were mildly entertaining, but it never went in the right direction. There could have been room for interesting plot twists, but instead it played it safe. Extract is completely forgettable and probably only worth your time if you're a big Mike Judge fan.

4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment