Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 31: May 31st, 2010

Spongebob Squarepants



Views From Someone Who Never Watches Show

King Neptune's crown is stolen and it is up to Spongebob to get it back.

Before I go on with this review, which will probably be a short one, let me say this. I never got the appeal of the show. I didn't understand why so many kids loved this show nor did I ever watch an episode. It grew bigger and bigger and spawned a film. Going into the film not expecting much from a television animated show to a feature film, I can tell you this. I loved it. I never expected to laugh so much during this film, yet it struck all the right cords for me.

The comedy is hard to pin down because a lot of it makes kids laugh, yet there is so much engraved in this film that it will have the adults laughing too. I was in stitches when David Hasselhoff shows up in Baywatch gear in one of the most random cameos of all time. The two animated characters ride him across the water to get back home. Random? Weird? Hilarious? All three of those rolled into one. That is the style of humour, don't think it's funny? Skip this film.

The film has many recognizable actors supplying their voices, such as Alec Baldwin, Scarlett Johansson, ,Jeffrey Tambor and a favourite of mine who is also a regular cast members, Clancy Brown. The film is really goofy and the animation supports this. At times it changes a bit and you get a Ren and Stimpy style shot, no complaints, just random for a kids show.

I don't really know how to recommend this film. I for one never watched the show and loved the film. People who are fans of the show also seemed to enjoy the flick. I guess if you are into sophisticated humour, you'd have to skip this one. This is really a silly, goofy and immature movie...and I loved it.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment